About Us

Harris-Jackson CLC

1085 Clifton Ave., Akron, Ohio 44310
Front of Harris-Jackson CLC
Principal: Andrea Aller

Phone: 330.761.1315

Fax: 330.761.1519

About Harris-Jackson CLC

Our school:

Our new building opened in August 2017.
Harris-Jackson CLC was named a "School of Promise" by the Ohio Department of Education.
Our teachers have an average of 19 years of experience
67% of our teachers hold a master's degree or higher.
Harris-Jackson CLC has a very active parent involvement and volunteer community.


History of Harris Elementary School

Harris Elementary was constructed in 1922. It was located on the site of the former Caldwell School, which was built in 1906 by the Portage Township Schools. In 1916, the Akron Board of Education annexed Caldwell and it became part of the Akron Public School system. A four-room annex was added shortly afterward.

In 1921, the Akron Board of Education razed the original 1906 building and built a major addition to the school. The school board intended to retain the name of Caldwell for the Dayton Street School, but a controversy concerning school names began to brew which ultimately involved the Dayton Street School and the proposed school on Merriman Road now known as King Elementary.

The end result was that the Dayton Street School was renamed for Malana A. Harris (1842 - 1904), a former Akron teacher who was instrumental in the growth of the kindergarten program in Akron. Harris began her teaching career in the Akron Public Schools in September 1875. She was a Pennsylvania native and served Akron Public Schools for 29 years. Akron Public Schools did not have a kindergarten class before her teaching and her class was the first in the area.

History of Bettes Elementary

Bettes Elementary was constructed in 1927, with additions completed in 1952, 1964 and 1980. The school was originally part of the Tallmadge Township Schools and was annexed by Akron Public Schools in 1931. The school is named in honor of Captain Nathanial Bettes (1747-1840), a native of Massachusetts who was one of the "Minutemen" who answered the alarm after Lexington and took part in the siege of Boston. He entered the Revolutionary War as a private and in five years rose to the rank of captain. After the war, the state of Massachusetts awarded its Revolutionary soldiers lands in the West, which at that time included Ohio. In 1810, Bettes, at the age of 63, moved with 20 members of his household to Ohio. The journey by covered wagon took the Bettes family six weeks. Bettes and his brother Mills ultimately settled in the area now known as Bettes Corners.
The faculty at Bettes was dedicated, collaborative and caring and 100% of them were designated as ”highly qualified.” The faculty had an average of 21 years of experience and 73% held a master's, educational specialist, or doctoral degree, with additional professional development and updated training in curriculum, instructional strategies, and technology. Through the years, numerous grants were awarded to Bettes faculty for science, technology, and literacy innovative and enriching programs. Bettes Elementary offered school-based pastoral counselors, as well as counseling services through the Akron Child Guidance Center.
Many programs were offered through the years which had an average attendance rate of 95%. Programs offered at Bettes included on-line programming for gifted students, Akron After School, e-books for the Benchmark Reading Program, English as a Second Language Program, Title 1 funded tutors for reading, writing and math intervention, Moby-Max computer-based reading and math program, Nike's SPARK program, OASIS, Ohio Reads, and a Supportive PTA.

The vision statement of Bettes was that all students would be achieving to their fullest potential. The student mission statement was, “I come to school every day to learn and to achieve to my fullest potential.”

History of Jackson Elementary School

Jackson Elementary was constructed in 1928. The school was named after Andrew jackson who had no relation to the president. He began his career in the lumber business which enabled him to become very prominent in Akron’s commercial circles. Jackson was active in community affairs and served two terms as a member of the Akron Board of Education.

Jackson Elementary was closed in 2007 and was demolished in 2012. It was located at 1065 Clifton Avenue, Akron, Ohio.

 
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.